I. Name and Purposes
- The name of the organization is Point U! Boosters.
- Point U! Boosters is an independent, not-for-profit, unincorporated, autonomous organization, not affiliated with the University of Minnesota Athletic Department.
- The organization has the following purposes:
- To promote interest and enthusiasm in the women’s varsity volleyball program at the University of Minnesota at Minneapolis / St. Paul, MN.
- To provide social opportunities for fans, players and coaches.
- To financially assist the volleyball program while complying with National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) rules, regulations, and guidelines.
II. Membership and Dues
- Any University of Minnesota volleyball fan may be a member of the Point U! Boosters by paying the annual membership fee.
- Membership dues and benefits will be established and advertised by the Point U! Boosters Board of Directors.
- Annual memberships will be valid from July 1 through June 30 of each year. Memberships will not be pro-rated.
III. Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors of the Point U! Boosters will establish policies and initiate activities that are consistent with the purposes of the organization.
- All Directors will serve without compensation.
- Starting July 2014, the Board of Directors will consist of nine members. In addition, a University of Minnesota student who is a member of the Point U! Boosters may be elected to the Board as a Student Director. The Student Director will have all the rights and privileges of any Director.
- Directors, except for Student Directors, will be elected for three-year terms. Three Directors each year will be elected for a full term.
- A nominating committee (See Section V) will present a slate of candidates at the Board’s May meeting (See Section VIII). Additional nominations may be made from the floor. Only Directors present at the meeting will vote. No proxies will be allowed. Each Director present may vote for the number of persons equal to the positions open. A simple majority of the votes cast is required for election. The persons receiving the highest number of votes will be elected. In the event of a tie for the last position, a ballot with only those tied candidates will be used. The voting will be by secret ballot.
- Once elected, Directors will take office at the first meeting of the Board after June 30.
- Vacancies on the Board will be filled by a vote of the remaining Directors. Directors present at the meeting will make nominations and the voting will follow the Board’s regular procedure. Directors elected to fill vacancies on the Board will be elected for the time remaining in the previous Director’s term.
- Directors may be re-elected to the Board after being off the Board for one year. Directors elected to complete a term on the Board may be re-elected to the Board for a second term without being off the Board for one year. Student Directors will be elected for a one-year term. Student Directors may be re-elected to the Board without being off the Board for one year between terms.
- Any or all Directors can be removed for cause by vote of the board. A Director can be removed after missing three consecutive Board meetings without providing sufficient cause. After a Director has missed three consecutive Board meetings, the President of the Board (See Section VI.E.1) will attempt to contact the Director. The Director will be notified that the Board will vote on his/her removal at the next Board meeting. At that Board meeting, the Director may ask to remain on the Board. A simple majority is required for removal.
IV. Advisory Board
Former Directors may become members of the Advisory Board. In addition, University of Minnesota staff members may be invited to become members of the Advisory Board, at the Board’s discretion. All members of the Advisory Board may be invited to Board meetings. Members of the Advisory Board may discuss items of business but may not make motions or vote. Members of the Advisory Board may only participate in discussions at Board of Directors’ meetings when called upon to do so by the President of the Board of Directors.
V. Nominating Committee
The President of the Point U! Boosters will appoint a nominating committee to recommend prospective Directors and to recommend candidates for Board offices. This committee will consist of Directors who will be retiring at the end of the current year and / or members of the Advisory Board. The committee will be appointed by the first of November and submit its recommendations by the following May.
- The Executive Committee of the Board will be four officers: President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.
- The term of office will be one year. An officer may be re-elected to his/her position for his/her entire term as a Director.
- The officers for the upcoming year shall be elected by the Board at its May meeting. The nominating committee will present a candidate or candidates for each office. Additional nominations may be made from the floor. Only the Directors present may vote. No proxies will be allowed. A simple majority vote is required for election.
- Vacancies on the Executive Committee will be filled by the Board with a majority vote of those present and voting at a meeting of the Board.
- Officers and their Duties
- President. The President will preside at all meetings of the Board and the general membership. The President will be an ex officio member of all committees established by the Board. The President will call special meetings of the Board by notifying Directors at least three days in advance. The President will be the official spokesperson for the organization and will provide regular communication to the members during the volleyball season.
- Vice-President. The Vice-President will, in the absence of the President, assume the duties and the obligations of the Presidency as well as undertake and carry out any further duties designated to him/her by the Board. It is expected that the Vice-President will become the President for the year following his/her year as Vice-President.
- Secretary. The Secretary will keep and make available the minutes of Board meetings. The meeting minutes will be posted on the organization’s website after they have been accepted by the Board. The Secretary will monitor the organization’s Post Office box and distribute the mail as appropriate. The Secretary may delegate this duty to another Board member.
- Treasurer. The Treasurer will be the primary financial officer for Point U! Boosters. This will include:
- Collecting, depositing, and properly reporting all fees and other sources of income or contributions received by the organization.
- Preparing reports and financial statements as required by law and/or the Board.
- Depositing and distributing any monies of the organization as authorized by the Board and as approved by the authorized member of the University of Minnesota Athletic Department to assure adherence to University and NCAA rules.
VII. Activity Committees
- The Board may authorize committees to organize specific events and activities, such as communications, post-match receptions, fundraising events and the annual awards banquet.
- The Board will approve the chair of each committee.
- Committee chairs will report on the committee’s activities to the full Board whenever the Board Chair requests a report.
- The Board must authorize a budget for each committee before the committee spends any money.
- The Board will meet at least six times during a calendar year. Five Directors will constitute a quorum. A quorum is required to conduct any business or take votes.
- The Board President may call additional meetings. The President must give Directors at least three days’ notice of such a meeting.
- A Board vote may be held using email. The motion must be made and seconded in an email to the entire board. Directors must have 24 hours to ask questions and raise issues before voting begins. Once the voting begins, Directors must have at least 24 hours to vote.
- If at least four Directors request a meeting, the President must call a meeting and provide at least three days’ notice.
- Members of the organization may request a meeting of the Board by delivering to the President a petition signed by at least one-third of the paid-up membership. The President, when presented with such a petition, will give three days’ notice of the time and place of the meeting.
- These Bylaws may be amended by affirmative vote of two-thirds of the Directors. No proxies allowed.
- Notice of any proposed amendments shall be given to all Directors at least three days before any meeting of the Board at which an amendment is to be considered.
The organization may be dissolved at any time by a majority vote of all Directors present and voting at a meeting called in accordance with these Bylaws. Before any such dissolution, all funds on hand shall be distributed in accordance with the directions of the Board embodied in a resolution adopted at such meeting, with the specific proviso that any such funds be required to be distributed to the University of Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Department for the specific use of the volleyball program.
XI. Statement of Policy
- All activities of the Point U! Boosters will be carried out in strict compliance with and adherence to all rules and regulations of the NCAA and the University of Minnesota.
- The athletic director and the head volleyball coach of the University of Minnesota will be apprised of the activities and programs of the organization. They, or their designated representatives, will be invited to all meetings of the Board and the organization.